There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Welcome to Electric Literature's submissions hub!
We have a number of categories, including Essays, Novel Gazing, Recommended Reading, and the Recommended Reading Commuter. Please scroll down for information and guidelines on the category you are interested in.
The Recommended Reading Commuter—OPENING for POETRY and GRAPHIC NARRATIVE from December 12 to 19.
The Recommended Reading Commuter is our new home for poetry, flash, graphic, and experimental narratives. It publishes weekly on Monday morning, and has already showcased the likes of Noy Holland, Lulu Miller, Meg Pokrasss, Shelly Oria and Nelly Reifler, and more. For this submissions period, we will be accepting poetry and graphic narrative.
- For Poetry, submit 3–5 poems in a single document, and please limit the page count to 8.
- For Graphic Narrative, we are interested in both traditional and non-traditional forms of visual storytelling. Submit up to 3 pieces of narrative illustration, comics, or mixed media narrative. For comics, each piece should contain a minimum of 3 panels. The total page count of your submission should not exceed 15 pages.
- Please submit all genres in .doc, .docx, or PDF.
- If your work is selected, we can offer a total payment of $100.
All submissions will be accepted through our Submittable page. For a sense of the kind of work we publish, check out recent issues of the Commuter, our 280-character contest winners, and Recommended Reading’s 300th issue.
When we are looking for flash fiction, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Submit up to three pieces of prose that together total no more than 1500 words. If sending multiple pieces, upload them all in a single document.
Novel Gazing is Electric Literature’s personal essay series on the way that stories and reading shape our lives.
- Essays should not be longer than 4,000 words or shorter than 800
- Payment is $60 per piece.
- Non-women are welcome to submit their work.
- Read more about our vision for this series here and here.
Recommended Reading General Fiction—CLOSED
Submissions to Recommended Reading are currently closed, but members of Electric Literature can submit year-round. Join today!
- Recommended Reading publishes fiction between 1,500 and 10,000 words. (For fiction shorter than 1,500 words, check for open submission periods to the Recommended Reading Commuter.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted but please notify us immediately if a piece is accepted elsewhere.
- Upon acceptance, we can offer authors $300 for publishing rights.
- Writers may submit one piece per general opening period. (This does not apply to year-round submitting members. For more information on members submissions, please visit the members hub.)
We’re particularly interested in pieces that examine the intersection of the literary experience and other creative endeavors: film, fine art, music, video games, science, tech, architecture.
- Payment for essays is $50.
- Length is up to you, but we suggest aiming for 1,500–4,000 words.
- To see what kind of essays we have published, visit our site.
Please title your submission in a way that highlights its connection to the world of literature, the role of narrative in our lives, or the power of storytelling. Essays that do not reflect directly on the world of literature, books, or the role of narrative in our lives cannot be considered.